Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Proprioception - the brain does amazing things.

For the record, I found a better description and a name for what happened during my minor seizures in September and October.
 
I was reading a blog of a person with a similar diagnosis to me (http://thelizarmy.blogspot.com btw, thank you very much Liz for this detailed account of your fight) and she described and identified what happened during my minor seizures better than I described it.

She had problems with loss of proprioception, I did some further reading on this, and it better describes what happened during the two seizures I reported that happened in September and October. I originally reported this as a 'loss of motor control', but it was more like looking down at me left are and saying to myself, "what the heck is that arm doing there, and who's is it?" When I commanded my arm to move, it did slowly, but the whole time (30 seconds or so) it was surreal because it did not seem like it was my arm. It was like I was watching someone else move thier arm in front of my face.

I was previously uneducated about the concept of proprioception. Your body (when it is working properly) keeps track of where your limbs are. This information is used to help maintain balance, keep you safe from hazards, and navigate without eyesight (like in total darkness or eyes closed).

During my seizure, my brain forgot where my left arm was. When my eyes saw my left arm, I got real confused because my eyes were telling me one thing (hey, there is your arm), and my brain was giving me incorrect information (that's not your arm!)

Pretty wild, eh?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I'm glad my blog helped... and that you are now learning all about proprioception.

    A good book to read about all this stuff is "The Body Has a Mind of Its Own" by a Sandra and Matthew Blakeslee.

    I am glad I am not the only one with out of body experiences from seizures. Now you're blog is helping me. :)

    ReplyDelete

To make a comment without an account, set the 'Comment as:' to 'Anonymous', Type your message then click 'Post Comment' Be sure to leave your name in the comment so one can tell who wrote it.